Saturday 15 August 2009

Shetland

Had a few days sea kayaking in Shetland- Shetland Canoe Club hold an annual meet and this year it was on Unst, the most northerly of the islands. I took the opportunity to put my kayak on the ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick- no charge, but apparently a kayak counts as "two bikes"!
I carried a pair of rock shoes just in case, but never got to use them this time. Some amazing rock scenery on route, though, as I paddled north from Lerwick to join the group in Unst. I managed to land on Muckle Flugga, the next-to most northerly point in the British Isles (It is usually regarded as the most northerly point, but that honour belongs to Out Stack 500 meters further out)
There is more virgin rock here than there is climbed rock in, say, the Lake District. All it needs is someone to make the effort to get up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment